Saturday, November 15, 2008

It's a good thing, everybody. Everybody is looking for the same thing.

I want to be around other artists, around my age, all of whom hang around and live around an art co-op of some sort, that is preferably very big.  It is no secret now that I best make friends around my work and theirs.  Being around other artists is also a way of saying, then, that I want to be around friends, old and new alike (Damn SoCa).

I want to be close to NYC, but not in it.  I think NYC does not live up to the hype, but it does have a lot to offer.  But so does the countryside.  And suburbia on occasions.  This could mean Philadelphia, but I just don't really know.  Philadelphia is about an hour and a half or so away, from what I recall.  Being close to NYC will allow me to reap its benefits, but will also potentially allow for cheap(er) studios to rent.

I also am interested in creating UBS2.  Bring back those that are interested into some large communal studio space.  Ideally, folks like Jo, Ailey, Rach, Nadeem, Alex and Devin.  At least anyway.  I can't say I was close-close to people like Beny or Win, but they seemed like good folks whose company I'd enjoy.  And Addison is just too cute to not have around.  I would definitely like to extend this to Zak.  I'm just not sure how into it he might be, being so adverse to art-making-money.  I mean, hell, I don't want to bend over backwards for anyone, and I don't like the common of do-it-somebody-else way of art making.  I have a feeling he is a shade too nomadic also.  But regardless the informal, unofficial invitation to a nonexistent place is extended to him.

Wait... so, what about work?  I got to pay the bills, and currently I don't seem to have a skill set that can viably support me.  I think that maybe I could get my foot in the door at a construction agency if I were on the east coast.  Maybe Judy or Roman could help me out.  Or I could work with an artist.  That's possible.  Really to muse on what work I want to make money is still pretty pointless to do, primarily because it still remains in the "transient winds."  Instead, I will just list a couple dreams jobs:
1) Working with an artist that does mold making, who may potentially use plastics or fiberglass in his/her art making process
2) Work as a graphic designer after knowing photoshop a good deal better
3) Working as a laborer in either construction or landscape
4) Any job requiring welding
5) Working as an apprentice to a skilled carpenter, plumber or electrician (preferably all 3).
6) Working in an amazing book store or library
7) Working with some film/video company that would start me off doing very simple editing, per se, and then also show me the limits of programs like final cut pro, photoshop, etc.
8) Being a technician or technician assistant at some college or university.
9) Any of the above only with employers that were comfortable with learning-on-the-job training.

Thus far, these are the things I think I would enjoy.  And these are the things I want.  

No comments: